Sunday, August 19, 2007

My Entrepreneurial Internship

Growing up I was chronically overweight. Finally after graduation from Rensselaer, I decided to change my lifestyle. Nearly a year later, I had lost more than 100 pounds.

To achieve such remarkable progress I spent many hours in the gym. My gym, Gold Medal Fitness, has been in business 25 years and remains independently owned and operated by one man. Since reading that eighty percent of independent businesses fail in the first five years, I knew that Gold Medal Fitness' owner, Gary, was doing something right. I asked Gary if I could spend a month as an intern observing his business model and day-to-day operations. After agreeing to my request, Gary recommended that, in addition to my internship, I read The E-Myth Revisited a follow-up to a book he read 25 years earlier before starting his business.

No comments: