Sunday, August 19, 2007

My Favorite Quote from The E-myth Revisited

The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber was the first book on business I ever read. It opened my mind to a whole new way of thinking about business. In fact, I was so impressed with the book that I can still recite my favorite quote on command, even though I memorized it nearly 4 years ago. It goes like this:

"If your business depends on you, you don't own a business, you have a job, and it is the worst job in the world because you are working for a lunatic."

I think that is a fantastic editorial insight on operating a business. It highlights what I believe to be a major flaw in many small businesses started by technicians who are knowledgeable on how to do work, but not how to run a business that does that work.

No comments: